Mauritius offers a low tax jurisdiction with an investor-friendly environment to encourage both local and foreign companies to set up a business.
The Fiscal regime includes:
- Harmonised corporate and income taxes at 15%
- No capital gains tax
- No withholding tax on interest and dividends
- Exemption from customs duty on equipment
- Free repatriation of profits, dividends and capital
The Mauritius Revenue Authority is the agency responsible for collecting corporate tax, income tax and VAT in Mauritius. The fiscal year runs from 1st January to 31st December. Payment should be done either at the Mauritius Revenue Authority counters, via electronic payment or by sending a cheque drawn to the MRA by post.
The tax rate is as follows:
- Corporate tax:15%
- Income tax (personal tax): 15%
- Value-Added Tax (VAT): 15%
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR tax): 2% on book profits
- Land Transfer tax: 5%
Additional information can be consulted from the web site of the Mauritius Revenue Authority.